Paul James Fawcett
Accredited Specialist, Family Law
Independent Children’s Lawyer
After 5 years overseeing the Family Law practice of one of the Central Coast’s leading law firms, Paul established Catalyst Family Lawyers as a boutique specialist Family Law Firm.
“I want to help people going through separation or divorce work through their legal issues while maintaining their self-respect and dignity; people who want a fair financial settlement, care about what is best for their children and wishing to resolve their differences with their former spouses so that they, and their families, can move on with their lives.”
Before commencing his legal career, Paul was a primary school teacher in inner-Sydney.
“As a teacher I saw first-hand the damage that can happen to children’s emotional and psychological welfare when their parents are ‘at war’ with each other.”
As an Independent Children’s Lawyer (“ICL”) Paul represents at-risk children in complex parenting cases before the Family Law Courts.
“I’m a Family Lawyer because I enjoy helping people. I’m passionate about using my legal skills to help vulnerable kids who often get lost in their parents’ disputes”.
In 2003 Paul completed an internship in policy and law at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City. As a Family Lawyer he has acted in many complex interstate and international Family Law cases including Hague Convention and international child abduction cases as well as international divorces and cross-border property settlements.
Born and educated on the Central Coast, Paul is uniquely placed to understand the issues and challenges facing our community.
- Accredited Specialist – Family Law: Law Society of NSW
- Independent Children’s Lawyer – Legal Aid NSW
- Advanced Collaborative Practice: Collaborative Resolutions
- Collaborative Practice Level 1: University of Technology, Sydney
- Masters of Law and Legal Practice: University of Technology, Sydney
- Bachelor of Arts with the Diploma of Education: Macquarie University, Sydney
- Former Vice President and Board Member, Collaborative Professionals NSW
- Member, Family Law Section, Law Council of Australia
- Member, Hunter Valley Family Law Practitioners Association
- Member, Law Society of New South Wales
- Member, Central Coast Law Society
- Member, Newcastle Law Society
- Panel Member, Legal Aid NSW Independent Children’s Lawyer
- Panel Member, Legal Aid NSW Family Law
Kellie Ann Smith: Conveyancing Manager and Executive Assistant
Kellie came to Catalyst Family Lawyers with extensive experience in Conveyancing, Commercial and Property Law.
As Conveyancing Manager, Kellie has assisted many of our clients to complete transfers of homes and other property as part of their Family Law settlements.
In her role as Executive Assistant, Kellie provides the key support to the firm’s Family Law Solicitors to ensure that clients’ enquiries and concerns are dealt with professionally and promptly.
Kellie is often the first point of contact new clients have with our firm with many telling us how her approachable, friendly manner has put their mind at ease and made calling to see a family lawyer for the first time that much easier.